Friday, December 27, 2013

54 Years

I was standing in line at Walmart last week and I thought, this will be my 54th Christmas.  WOW! Of course many of those I do not even remember.  It would be so much fun to be able to look back in time and watch what it would have been like on Christmas in 1959.  I'll always remember the big bulbs on the Christmas tree with the tin silver stars that would protect the tree branches. And, who could forget putting tinsel on the tree.  The old glass ornaments were so beautiful.
Growing up we would always anxiously wait for the Christmas catalogs to arrive.  Then we would sit down and circle and write down our wish lists.  Dad always came through for Christmas.  We probably got just about everything we wrote down.  And, we always got new underwear, socks and pajamas.  When we opened our gifts we would take turns.  Dad would give Jeanne a gift and she would open it.  Then he'd give one to Bill, then me, then Donna.  One year he told us that there was a paper shortage, so we had to very carefully open each gift, fold the paper and give it Mom. LOL  Pretty sure he was pulling our legs.
Now I 54 Christmas's have gone by.  33 of those with Alan.  Now the girls are grown and celebrate with their own families.  We still blessed to have one with us still.  Just celebrated Christmas number 22 with her.  My dream would be to one day celebrate with all of our girls and their families.
I am going to enjoy the decorations for 3 more nights and then Monday I think it will be time to put it all away again.  It's almost January and at my house, that means it's time for the Snowmen to grace our home.  That's my favorite kind of snow.  Decorations.
I hope that you each had a wonderful season and that you were truly blessed.  It's so easy to get caught up in all of the decorating, presents and baking.  But, without our Lord and Savior being born, there would not be any reason for the season.  Because of Him, we are Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment